How can CELI certification be used
CELI is an official title that declares the degree of communicative competence in Italian as a foreign language.
To obtain a residence permit, it is necessary to take the CELI 1 exam.
The Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) recognizes CELI 3 as proof of proficiency in the Italian language and is valid for purposes of enrollment in an Italian University in Italy. CELI 4 and CELI 5 are valid qualifications for certifying proficiency in the Italian language on equal terms as native speaking Italians.
What are the CELI Levels
CELI is divided into 6 proficiency levels based on the model of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). They are issued by the University for Foreigners of Perugia and are recognized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Each level attests to a specific communicative ability that can be applied to different situations and contexts.
CELI certification is for those who study Italian and simply want to measure their competence, for those who want to enter the world of work, for non-European students who want to enroll in a university course in Italy and for migrants who want to apply for a long term residence permit.
- CELI Impatto (CELI Impact) is the lowest level among the six CELI certificates. It is comparable to Level A1 of the CEFR. The exam is divided into three parts: Reading comprehension 25%; Written production and interaction 25%; Listening comprehension, production; Oral interaction 50%. The duration of the exam is 1 hour and 15 minutes for the reading and writing part, and 5-6 minutes for the oral part.
- CELI 1 (Level A2 of the CEFR) testifies to an elementary level of understanding of the Italian language and the possibility of elaborating simple sentences, but not complete speech. The exam consists of four parts: Comprehension of written texts 25%; Production of written texts 15%; Comprehension of oral texts 30%; Oral production 15%. The duration of the exam is: 2 hours for the written part, 20 minutes for the comprehension of oral texts, and 10 minutes for the oral production.
- CELI 2 (Level B1 of the CEFR) refers to an intermediate level which is valid for citizenship. The exam is divided as follows: Comprehension of written texts 25%; Production of written texts 25%; Comprehension of oral texts 25%; Oral production 25%. The exam lasts 2 hours for the written part, 20 minutes for the comprehension of oral texts, and 15 minutes for the oral production.
- CELI 3 (Level B2 of the CEFR) is also called an upper-intermediate level and it is valid for Italian university admission in Italy. In this case, the exam is divided into five parts: Comprehension of written texts 20%; Production of written texts 20%; Linguistic competence 10%; Comprehension of oral texts 20%; Oral production 30%. The exam lasts more than 3 hours, with 2 hours and 15 minutes for the written part, 1 hour and 10 minutes for linguistic competence and comprehension of oral texts, then, finally, 15 minutes for oral production.
- CELI 4 (Level C1 of the CEFR) is the first of the two advanced levels and indicates the ability to understand and produce long and complex sentences. Again, the exam is divided into five parts: Comprehension of written texts 20%; Production of written texts 30%; Linguistic competence 10%; Comprehension of oral texts 15%; Oral production 25%. The duration of the exam is 2 hours and 45 minutes for the written part, 1 hour and 40 minutes for linguistic competence and comprehension of oral texts, and 20 minutes for oral production.
- CELI 5 (Level C2 of the CEFR) is the highest level attainable and indicates linguistic abilities comparable, or almost, to those of a native speaker. The exam is divided into these parts: Comprehension of written texts 20%; Production of written texts 30%; Linguistic competence 10%; Comprehension of oral texts 15%; Oral production 25%. The duration of the exam is almost five hours: 2 hours and 45 minutes for the written part, 1 hour and 40 minutes for linguistic competence and comprehension of oral texts, and 20 minutes for oral production.
CELI exams are considered “a pass” only if the minimum required score has been achieved in both parts (oral and written).
When one of the two parts is insufficient, the partial result obtained can be applied for one year (70% of the total fee must be paid at the second exam session).
For the CELI Impatto and CELI 1 levels, there are two possible outcomes (positive or negative).
For every other level there are five degrees of judgment:
E: seriously insufficient.
Attention: In order to take the CELI exam, strict deadlines must be met, and long wait times endured. The correction of the exams takes up to 3 months and the sending of the certificate can take up to 4 months.
NOTE: CELI certificates do not expire.
When, Where and How much
When should I register?
Registrations must be made at least one month before the start of the exam. The CELI exam sessions for general Italian, scheduled throughout the year, are as follows:
- spring session in March for the first 4 levels (A1-B2)
- summer session in June for all 6 levels (A1-C2)
- autumn session in November for all 6 levels (A1-C2)
Where can I take the CELI exam?
The CELI exam can be taken at an exam center closest to you. Our school is one of the accredited centers in Florence.
How much does it cost to take the CELI exam?
The registration fee for all six levels is set at 100 euros.
How should I prepare myself for the CELI exam?
To pass the CELI exams it is not necessary to have followed a specific course, with specific content or a specific method, but it is important to be well prepared with respect to the level you want to achieve in both writing and speaking.
Since it is necessary to do well on both parts in order to pass the exam, training (or simply a review) may be necessary, focusing more on some aspects than others.
Our courses (in Florence and online) are highly customizable according to your needs. Do you just need a refresher or are you still far from the level you would like to be at and seek an intensive course? Do you prefer to study in a group or take private lessons?
During the preparation for the CELI exam, an exam session will also be simulated, using old CELI exam papers.
This will help you get used to what to expect on the exam, the sequence and the necessary time needed to succeed. Furthermore, you can easily check your obtained score.
Online CELI Preparation
If you are looking for a highly flexible solution, online preparation is unmatched.
If you are short on time, you can choose individual lessons.
If you want to take it easy and/or need an economic option, you can choose our Europass Agile guided self-study course.
If you don’t want to give up the experience of studying together with other students from all over the world, you can choose group courses.
Finally, if you are interested in multiple solutions, you can choose to mix the various solutions (see examples below).
Schedule and prices
Customize your study path according to your needs.
Here are a few examples:
|4 private lessons + 4-week group course||16||260€|
|16-week group course (2 lessons of 1.5 hours per week)||48||480€|
|8 private lessons + 8-week group course||32||520€|
|20 private lessons||29||580€|
|Europass Agile (self-paced study course) + 8 private lessons + 8-week group course||80||600€|
If you are not sure how many lessons you need to reach your desired level, contact us!
CELI Exam Preparation in Florence
Exam preparation in Florence is also highly customizable.
Schedule and prices
Every day: Four group lessons + Two private lessons, focused on preparing for the CELI exam
Lessons from 9 to 12.40 and from 13.10 to 14.50.
We are here to help.Contact us
Details and conditions
2020 course starting dates, onsite in Florence
Non Beginners → every Monday
Beginners → every two weeks
2020: 20/1, 03/2, 17/2, 02/3, 16/3, 30/3, 06/4, 20/4, 04/5, 18/5, 01/6, 15/6, 29/6, 06/7, 13/7, 20/7, 27/7, 03/8, 17/8, 31/8, 07/9, 14/9, 21/9, 05/10, 19/10, 02/11, 16/11, 30/11, 07/12.
2021: 04/1, 18/1, 01/2, 15/2, 01/3, 15/3, 29/3, 12/4, 26/4, 10/5, 24/5, 07/6, 21/6, 28/6, 05/7, 12/7, 19/7, 26/7, 02/8, 16/8, 30/8, 06/9, 20/9, 04/10, 18/10, 8/11, 22/11, 06/12.
For durations other than those proposed, or to add any extras, contact us.
Each course includes: proficiency level assessment, textbook, certificate of attendance, general secretarial services, WiFi connection, and the loaning of books and DVDs.
Excluded: Accommodation, other guided tours and activities during the week and weekends.
Discover our study vacation packages, which include tours/visits and accommodation!